Everything but a goal! - 2nd Team Stalemate

Eastleigh 2nd XI 0-0 Hayes and Yeading United Res.

Suburban Premier League

TEAM: Andy Wynn, Jack Burgoyne, Adam Shepherd, Justin Hall, Tom Roberts (c), Joe Sheppard, Adam Wiltshire, James Screen, Richard Bridle, Tom Price, Scott Waters.

SUBS: Johnathan Pearce (on for Wynn 30), Callum Stanley (on for Bridle 60), Aidan Sainsbury (on for Price 77) - Unused: Niall Bryant.

Match Report by Jamie Montigue

Eastleigh's second string were left cursing their luck on a miserable afternoon at the Silverlake Stadium.

On the back of an excellent 2-0 away win in the league to Hillingdon Borough, a result which saw Brian and Adie's men up to fourth in the table, the Spitfires youngsters were extremely unlucky today up against Hayes and Yeading United with a complete lack of fortune in front of goal. This, the only thing denying them a further win.

There were doubts as to whether the pitch would be playable with the torrential rain, but match referee James Garratt of London deemed the playing surface to be safe an hour before kick off.

The opening stages were fairly open with both teams pushing forward but to no avail.

Richard Bridle of Eastleigh showed some promise on the right of midfield, whilst a probing move from the visitors on 16 minutes saw a Matthew Madders drive from 25 yards produce a fine save out of goalkeeper, Andy Wynn.

Bridle cutting in past his man and then showing him the outside to get past the Hayes and Yeading full back, looked to find James Screen with a deep cross to try and create an opening for the Spitfires at the opposite end, though John Peacock cut the delivery out before the danger had a chance to develop.

Eastleigh really started to kick on from here with an array of opportunities.

Adam Wiltshire in the centre of midfield claimed he was brought down just outside the penalty area but the referee didn't seem convinced. As play continued a long ball forward from Jack Burgoyne in the right back position, found it's way through to Tom Price who was unmarked with space ahead of him.

Clean through on goal, Price waited too long to get a shot away allowing the defence to recover and make the challenge. This to deny an otherwise certain chance for 1-0.

Wiltshire was fouled again midway through the half high up the pitch by a late challenge. James Screen sent the free kick to the back post where the ball found it's way into the 6-yard box with Bridle. Similar to the last opportunity, Bridle delayed hitting an early shot and took far too long in a great position to take advantage with Hayes and Yeading able to clear and counter.

A sorry sight then followed with Andy Wynn feeling the full force of a nasty lunge towards the goalkeeper. Andy was left in a heap as his game came to a premature end when stretchered off.

Johnathan Pearce was his replacement between the sticks, the man Eastleigh fans may remember was with the club in pre-season and actually kept a clean sheet against a very strong Portsmouth side.


A third clear cut opportunity arose for the Spitfires when Bridle picked out a clever threaded pass behind the defence to find Scott Waters' run. A little hesitancy in striking the ball early forced the young striker wide of goal by which point the chance had been and gone.

Time running down in the half, the hosts were still on top just lacking that little bit of composure in front of goal, saw centre back Justin Hall harshly penalised for the ball being kicked against the defenders arm to give Hayes and Yeading one last chance before the break.

Christopher Lappiere's free kick was dropped carelessly on to the goalline by Pearce who casually went for the catch but so nearly was made to pay before the goalkeeper was able to sweep the ball up at the second attempt to avert the danger and keep the scoreline deadlocked going in to half time.

HALF TIME: Eastleigh 2nd XI 0-0 Hayes and Yeading United Res.

Eastleigh made a decent start to the second half with Wiltshire coming close after good link up play and a one-two with James Screen.

A little over ten minutes in, Screen won a corner kick after Waters forced the goalkeeper into the initial error through pressure in front of goal. Tom Price floated the ball in where Tom Roberts met the ball bravely but his header looped over the top.

On the hour mark, Eastleigh should have been made to pay for allowing a free header on the half way line that led to the ball being played through for Malachi Bulley who failed to trouble Pearce despite being given acres of space down the right and should really have done better with the effort that went wide of the target.

Disappointment from both teams point of view, with the defensive error and the miss from Hayes and Yeading, saw the Spitfires do their best to respond with a wonderful move down the left hand side with substitute Callum Stanley combining with Waters before chipping towards goal. In the end it was a simple catch for the goalkeeper, but the passing football that led to the attempt was impressive to say the least.

Eastleigh soon found themselves on the front foot consistently with Roberts heading wide from a cross by Screen before Tom Price demonstrated both his confidence and skill as he knocked the ball past the defender before running past with excellent pace to deliver from the byline. Stanley attacked the ball at the near post but couldn't get decent contact from close range.

Another opportunity in the 69th minute, saw Wiltshire win the ball high up the park before playing it to his left. Waters let it run for Screen who took one touch to steady himself from the edge of the area before pulling the trigger with his favoured left foot only to be thwarted by a parry from the keeper.

Fifteen minutes from time, Callum Stanley chested down and volleyed narrowly over the cross bar from Burgoyne's ball in that was deflected into his path via the head of a Hayes and Yeading defender.

The luck did not look to change at any time soon despite Eastleigh commanding with Waters scooping a further opportunity high above goal from inside the 6-yard box and minutes later Adam Wiltshire could not have come much closer for the hosts with his thumping piledriver that struck the upright. Stanley, following up from the exquisite effort, had his shot blocked.

Eastleigh stepping up the pressure - had by this point, chances into the double figures with Tom Roberts this time unable to turn the ball home with a golden opportunity from Screen's corner.

Late into the game Hayes and Yeading came close to taking an unlikely lead as Pearce was rounded by the visitors' centre forward before Justin Hall could intervene with a crucial sliding tackle to keep him at bay.

Into injury time, Eastleigh were still threatening but by now it was clear that no matter how many chances came their way that it would stay goalless. It was just one of those days!

Aiden Sainsbury, who had replaced Tom Price a while earlier, put in a testing corner kick that was spilled haplessly by the goalkeeper. Callum Stanley used his pace to create one final opportunity that went right across goal to Screen on the left flank. The former Portsmouth and Bournemouth youth drilled the ball back in, but there was no one on hand for what would have been a simple tap in.

On the face of things, Eastleigh will be left counting the endless chances and like everyone else in attendance will be wondering how they came out with a blank on the scoresheet!

FULL TIME: Eastleigh 2nd XI 0-0 Hayes and Yeading United Res.


Popular posts from this blog

Evans jumps on board

Penalty heartbreak for Eastleigh in play-offs