Cameron double not enough for reserves win

Eastleigh 2nd XI 2-2 Whyteleafe Res.
Suburban Premier League

TEAM: Fred Toomer, James Powell, Niall Bryant, Scott Gilham ©, Adam Shepherd, Arron Milburn, Adam Wiltshire, Williams Peauroux, Stephen Hall, Scott Waters, Leon Cameron

SUBS: Youssuf Bamba (on for Hall 58), Joe Crook (on for Wiltshire 80)

Match Report by Jamie Montigue

Scott Gilham re-signed for the club this past week having left Eastleigh last season for Winchester City.

The centre half made a welcome return to the Silverlake Stadium, at the heart of defence and captained the young Eastleigh side putting in a typically committed performance.

In midweek, Eastleigh made it three straight wins as they beat Basingstoke reserves by two goals to one. Paul Wiltshire's and Wayne Mew's side were looking to build on this form this afternoon.

Eastleigh went ahead after just two minutes. Right-back James Powell showed great vision to spray the ball out to his left with a delightful, flighted pass where left winger Stephen Hall provided the assist with a perfect low cross. LEON CAMERON rounded off the move with a neat finish in front of goal, this his third goal of the season.

Immediately, Freddie Toomer, who was man of the match by a long stretch in the 2-0 win over Metropolitan Police last Saturday, was called into action making an impressive diving save and holding on to the ball well.

In the 12th minute, good play from Powell down the right saw his ball in to the box cut out well by the keeper at his near post.

The game was very evenly matched for a long period of time with either side cancelling each other out.

It wasn't until midway through the half, on 30 minutes that the next goalmouth action should happen, and with it came the equalising goal. A long ball forward from the back, saw the Whyteleafe number 9 beat Toomer with a lobbed finish from the edge of the area.

The visitors, now with the momentum, had a couple of other chances towards the end of the first half, in particular in the 40th minute, which saw the ball slipped through behind the Eastleigh defence only for the man on the overlap to fire harmlessly high and wide from the opportunity.

Three minutes before the break, Adam Shepherd was first to a loose ball inside the visitors' half where he then controlled it before having a good go at goal from 35 yards and wasn't all that far away with the attempt.

Eastleigh looked to have taken the lead on the stroke of half time as Cameron skipped past a challenge twenty-yards out before shooting left-footed. It was too hot to handle for the keeper who spilled it straight to Waters who slammed home the rebound only for it to be ruled out for offside.

HALF TIME: Eastleigh Res. 1-1 Whyteleafe Res.

Scott Waters was denied by a brave piece of goalkeeping five minutes after the restart following a great ball from Steven Hall.

Two minutes short of the hour, Youssuf Bamba replaced Hall on the left of midfield.

Whyteleafe were then thwarted by a great save from Toomer, who tipped the ball over the cross bar from a stinging shot that was heading for the top corner of goal.

Eastleigh's Bamba combined with Peauroux with a good pull back from the left of the area. Williams Peauroux arrived in the middle with a well-timed run, hitting the ball first time with a good attempt but unfortunately watching his shot wide of goal.

Out of nothing, LEON CAMERON grabbed his second goal of the game with a very neat finish at the near post turning the ball across the goalkeeper and into the far corner to put Eastleigh in front in the 72nd minute.

The visitors really should have hit back with an instant reply at the opposite end. Instead, the ball in from the right providing an open goal to shoot at for the striker running in, was somehow turned over from just five yards out. An unbelievable miss and embarrassing at that.

Adam Wiltshire had to replaced with ten minutes remaining having picked up a knock. Joe Crook took to the field to replace the midfielder.

A minute later Scott Waters appeared to be tripped a good couple of yards inside the penalty area, though the referee only awarded a free kick just outside the box.

Bamba stepped up but failed to trouble the keeper from 19 yards, blazing comfortably high over the target.

Whyteleafe were back in it six minutes from time as they finished off from a fine through ball, the shot being smashed home leaving Toomer no chance.

It still wasn't quite over as Eastleigh had more chances to win it. Cameron was very unfortunate to be denied a hat trick from his speculative snapshot that tested the keeper to the limit with a powerful effort to the left of goal.

Eastleigh also struck the woodwork from a corner before Cameron's glancing header went just wide of goal from an Adam Shepherd cross.

In injury time, Williams Peauroux's ferocious strike from distance was far too powerful for the keeper to hold on to though fortunately for the visitors, the ball was cleared to safety and it remained all square despite Eastleigh having far more chances to put the game to rest.

FULL TIME: Eastleigh Res. 2-2 Whyteleafe Res.


Popular posts from this blog

Eastleigh 2-1 Havant & Waterlooville

Maidstone 1-3 Eastleigh