Eastleigh 1-2 Histon

4TH MARCH 2006


Histon score two second half goals to cancel out Stuart Douglas’ ninth minute opener after Eastleigh completely dominated the first half and stole the points in a game of two halves. This result now makes it three straight defeats for Eastleigh.

Eastleigh were simply brilliant in the first half and created numerous chances, with early pressure from both Stuart Douglas and Andy Forbes winning corners for Eastleigh in quick succession within five minutes of the game being played.

The home side took the lead with a fantastic move. Andy Forbes won the ball well nicking it from the defender before playing it left into the feet of his strike partner Stuart Douglas. Douglas played a first time ball out to the right flank for Steve Forbes and his inch perfect cross was turned in by STUART DOUGLAS who timed his run brilliantly and was in the right place at the right time to give Eastleigh a well deserved lead.

In the 15th minute, a lofted pass from David Hughes fell to Andy Forbes on the left hand side of goal who tried to chip Lance Key in the Histon goal, but the Key was rushed off his line to make a good save.

Eastleigh continued to threaten and captain Danny Smith very nearly doubled his sides lead when Ryan Ashford flicked the ball on nicely for Smith who took one touch to get the ball out of his feet before curling a great effort towards the top right hand corner only to be denied by a fine save from Key.

Only two minutes later, a perfect drop kick from Wayne Shaw was distributed straight up the field to Andy Forbes who brought the ball down well with a good first touch to create a shooting opportunity and once more Key saved his side from going two goals down as he was quick off his line and deflected Forbes’ shot wide of goal.

Andy Forbes had an even better opportunity to score on 30 minutes. Ryan Ashford played a ball into the box and a bad defensive error allowed Andy Forbes in on goal with only the keeper to beat. He looked certain to score but he miss hit his shot and the chance to go 2-0 up was gone.

Histon came close to troubling Eastleigh for the first time in the first half with a looping header that went narrowly over Wayne Shaw’s cross bar.

Eastleigh began to pass the ball around once more and following some good work down the right from Andy Forbes he pulled the ball back for Ryan Ashford in the middle of the eighteen yard box, however Ashford got it all wrong and the shot went horribly wide, which was a shame because of the excellent build up play.

The two Forbes’, Steve and Andy linked up well to create a very good chance for the home side. Steve Forbes played the ball down the right flank, which Andy ran on to, beating the off side trap and was clean through on goal. Forbes was then blatantly pushed off the ball inside the area but the referee didn’t want to know – much to the disagreement of Mark Blake and a number of Eastleigh fans!

Just before half time, a great diving save from Wayne Shaw stopped Histon from equalising.

HALF TIME – Eastleigh 1-0 Histon

The second half was a completely different story, and Eastleigh were made to pay for not taking more of their clear-cut chances in the first 45.

Histon seemed to be playing with a lot more determination and all of a sudden Eastleigh were on the back foot for large parts of the second half as opposed to be in complete control of the game in the first half.

Chris Collins had another good game at centre back winning plenty of headers, but it was his fellow centre back Rob Marshall that rose highest to meet Ashford’s corner at the other end of the pitch, only for the ball to sail wide of goal.

On the hour mark, Eastleigh had one of few second half chances when Stuart Douglas played a one-two with David Hughes who raced through on goal before the Histon defence made it good recovery clearing the ball for a corner.

The visitors were denied by the legs of Wayne Shaw for the second time in the game when his reflex save stopped Histon from getting back in the game.

In the 68th minute, Andy Forbes was replaced by Dave Town.

Two minutes later, Histon equalised when a quick attack resulted in a right wing cross being met by NEIL ANDREWS at the back post to tap in past the helpless Wayne Shaw.

Substitute, Dave Town had a good chance to put Eastleigh back in front when a through ball from Ian Oliver cut the Histon defence in two to find the Eastleigh striker but Town was off balance and shot wide.

Histon were beginning to threaten once more, and their left winger, Jamie Barker, was given far too much time and space and fortunately for the home side his effort flew high over the bar.

Eight minutes from the end of the game, Histon had completed the comeback. Another cross from the right was this time tapped in by JAMIE BARKER who punished some bad defending from Eastleigh to steal the points for the visitors.

FULL TIME – Eastleigh 1-2 Histon



Popular posts from this blog

Evans jumps on board

Penalty heartbreak for Eastleigh in play-offs