'Our heads are on the block' - Baird

By Wendy Gee -

IAN Baird has always prided himself on his loyalty to his players.

But even he struggled to defend the events of another sorry Saturday as Eastleigh slumped to a 5-1 Blue Square South defeat at Newport County.

Out of six Saturday games this season, the spluttering Spitfires have collected just one paltry point.

Until this latest collapse they had only ever lost by the odd goal and actually travelled to South Wales boosted by three consecutive clean sheets.

But such was the magnitude of defeat that Baird admitted there was now a lot of “deep thinking to be done to rectify this situation” if Eastleigh are to stand any chance of building on last season’s excellent third-placed finish.

“I’m a manager who is loyal to his players and if they do the business for me, I will do the best I can for them,” said the boss.

“There was no ranting or raving after Saturday’s game, but I said to the players I can’t defend what’s happened here today.

“Football’s a results business and all our heads are on the chopping block – mine included.

“Maybe I’ve been too loyal to the players that did so well last season. It becomes a them or you situation.

“I’ve been around the block a few times and I’d imagine the Eastleigh board are looking at the situation.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve discussed my future. I do know my head is on the block because, ultimately, I’m the manager.”

Possibly the biggest problem Baird faces is that two of last season’s star performers, defender Luke Byles and targetman Jamie Brown, are unavailable.

Byles is off travelling the world and the latest on Brown’s ankle injury is that it’s ligament damage and could take another two months to heal.

That would be bearable if the rest of the team were playing to their full potential, but the problem is they’re not.

And, with his budget fully accounted for, Baird must either keep faith with what he’s got and hope for a dramatic turnaround or consider shipping players out to get new ones in - no easy task with most of the squad under contract.

“There’s no doubt we’re missing two of our most influential players in Luke Byles and Jamie Brown, but even if Luke were to pop his head up and say ‘It’s International Rescue calling, I’m coming back’, where do I get the money to pay him?’ said Baird.

“For me to change the personnel, I’d have to get players out to get new ones in. But it’s not like it used to be at Eastleigh where you could just give a player a few bob and he’d go.

“Somehow we need to turn things round and get results, but I’m going to have to phone a friend to see how we can do that.”

*Full story and non-League round-up in today's Daily Echo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deal sealed with Lawshield

Richard Hill

Eastleigh Res. 0-1 Tooting & Mitcham Utd Res.