Eastleigh v Dartford - Match Preview

Match Preview by Kieran James

The Spitfires are playing Dartford on Saturday in the Blue Square Bet South (3pm kick off) at the Silverlake Stadium.

Eastleigh notched up their third straight league win at the Rushmoor Stadium on Saturday when they beat Hampshire rivals Farnborough 1-3.

The Spitfires took the lead with Andrew White firing in his fifth goal of the season for Eastleigh. The former Reading and Gillingham striker pounced on a loose ball and made no mistake in putting Eastleigh 0-1 up.

Eastleigh were cruising and had many chances to double their lead, however it was the Yellows who equalised through Reece Connolly following a cross from former Southampton striker Tony Garrod.

Farnborough were looking dangerous in front of goal with on-loan Southampton goalkeeper Jack Dovey making some great saves.

Ian Herring floated a free kick in to the box which looked destined for Farnborough keeper Nikodin Matic’s gloves, but the former South Coast Wolves goalkeeper, who had trialed with Premier league side Norwich earlier this season, spilt the ball.

Andy Forbes gathered the ball and passed it to Jamie Brown who instead of going for glory, returned the ball to Forbes who found the net with a fine lofted shot into an empty net.

Eastleigh then looked comfortable and sealed the game with a third well-worked goal.

Sam Wilson did well to chase down a lost cause and set up on loan winger Chris Flood who put in a superb cross. Jamie Slabber then headed the ball to Jamie Brown who made who headed home from close range to put Eastleigh 1-3 up and secure all three points.

The Spitfires now sit in 12th place, only five points away from a play off spot and eighth places behind fourth placed Dartford who they next play on Saturday.

The Darts sit nicely in fourth place with 33 points having won ten, drawn three and lost three this season.

Dartford’s last game finished 1-1 at home to 11th placed Weston-Super-Mare who are one point above Eastleigh.

The visitors took the lead in the first half with Nat Pepperell putting Weston-Super-Mare in the lead. The Darts hit back 14 minutes later with left back Adam Green earning Dartford a point.

The last time these two teams met was only two months ago at Princes Park - a day to forget for the Spitfires as the Darts won 3-0.

Charlie Sheringham (now at AFC Bournemouth) put the home side 1-0 up after former Spitfire Richard Graham set him up with a great pass. The son of former England international Teddy Sheringham drove a low left-footed shot past Eastleigh goalkeeper Gareth Barfoot.

Sheringham then hit again in the second half after second half substitute Danny Harris set him up for his ninth goal of the season.

Eastleigh had their chances but couldn’t put them away due to fine goalkeeping from Andrew Young.

The game had just enough time to see Norwegian under 19′s international midfielder Henrik Breimyr (who has since returned to Aldershot Town after a loan spell) cruelly get the last touch from a strike from substitute Lee Burns, which sent goalkeeper Gareth Barfoot the wrong way.

However this did not stop the superb Eastleigh away supporters cheering on the Spitfires until the final whistle.

The last time these two teams met at the Silverlake Stadium, the Spitfires won 3-0 with current Darford player Richard Graham opening the scoring for Eastleigh.

The former Queens Park Rangers winger placed a low drive in the back of the net after being teed up by Jamie Slabber.

Tony Taggart (now at Sutton United) set up Richard Gillespie to cross the ball, only for defender Paul Goodacre to header home past his own keeper Andy Young.

Goalkeeper Young attempted to clear a long ball forward but only managed to head the ball as far as Anthony Riviere who shot from thirty-yards and secured  a convincing win for Eastleigh.

Eastleigh fans received positive news today after Eastleigh director of football Dave Malone announced on the fans forum that the club are on the verge of signing left back Michael Green on a permanent basis after the former AFC Totton defender left Port Vale by mutual consent.


Popular posts from this blog

Eastleigh 1-1 Wrexham