Ademola stars in convincing 3-0 win

Saturday 25th August 2012
Blue Square Bet South

Match report by Jamie Montigue

EASTLEIGH: Jack Dovey, Mitchell Nelson, Michael Green, Callum McNish, Tom Jordan, Andy Forbes, Moses Ademola (Dale Binns 64), Daryl McMahon (c) (Glen Southam 78), Craig McAllister (Chris Flood 75), Jai Reason, Marvin Williams. Subs (Not used): Adam Everitt, Gary Elphick.

Goals: EASTLEIGH: Moses Ademola (27, 46) Craig McAllister (48).

Attendance: 445

Eastleigh put in a solid performance to record a convincing 3-0 victory over Weston-super-Mare at the Silverlake Stadium to register the Spitfires' first three points of the season.

Ian Baird named an unchanged starting eleven from the side that drew 1-1 with Basingstoke Town in midweek; against a side who, like Eastleigh, came into this game with one point from their opening two matches.

The game began with Eastleigh on the front foot with the impressive Moses Ademola showing some skill on the right to force an early corner in the sixth minute. Daryl McMahon’s set piece was met by Andy Forbes in the middle, who couldn’t quite steer his header goal wards.
The visitors had the ball in the net with just over ten minutes played, but the whistle had already blown for a push in the back by Jamie Price that was rightly penalised by the referee. This was about as good as it got for Weston-super-Mare for quite some time as Eastleigh pushed on to control the game in many areas.

Ademola was found by Jai Reason's excellent pass in the 14th minute. The ex-Woking forward got the ball out of his feet only to be dispossessed by a well-timed challenge from Price inside the area.

Successive corners for Eastleigh was just one indication that the hosts were pinning their opponents back with increasing pressure. From one corner kick, a goalmouth scramble ensued with a case of pinball inside the six-yard box, though Weston eventually cleared their lines.

Midway through the half, Marvin Williams left Martin Slocombe chasing shadows with a good burst of pace before cutting the ball back from the byline. Reason was well placed but delayed pulling the trigger as the chance came and went.

MOSES ADEMOLA broke the deadlock with a cool finish to give Eastleigh a deserved 27th minute lead. Skipper McMahon’s measured lofted pass from inside his own half was latched on to by Ademola who duly despatched. Moses got to the ball ahead of the keeper at the edge of the area to loft the ball over the head of Lloyd Irish and find the net in style.

A goal to the good, Eastleigh could have stretched their advantage further before the half came to a close. Ademola's low ball across goal for Williams saw the ex-Salisbury forward get his feet in a tangle to scuff an opportunity from 10 yards.

In the pouring rain, Jack Dovey kicked the ball against the on-rushing Chris Young and got a lucky break as the ball rebounded and rolled out of play instead of towards goal.

Eleven minutes before the break, it could easily have been 2-0 and a second goal for Ademola following another through ball from Reason. Goalkeeper Irish made himself big to deny Ademola and turn the effort behind for a corner as Eastleigh finished the half looking good value for their lead.

HALF TIME: Eastleigh 1-0 Weston-super-Mare

Eastleigh couldn't have wished for a better start to the second half. Whether it was down to some words of wisdom in the dressing room to start brightly or just through positive attacking play; the Spitfires most certainly came out all guns blazing to effectively kill the game off within minutes of the restart.

A second goal of the game for MOSES ADEMOLA saw Eastleigh celebrating a two-nil lead just 30 seconds after the half had got under way. An incisive move saw Daryl McMahon play the ball to Marvin Williams whose shot was spilled by Lloyd Irish allowing Ademola to tap in from close range.

The blistering start to the second half continued for Eastleigh as CRAIG MCALLISTER added a third goal for the Spitfires. This time Ademola’s shot couldn’t be held by the Weston goalkeeper and McAllister was on hand to score his second goal in as many games.

Eastleigh were clearly enjoying themselves now and the confidence throughout the team was evident for all to see. Ademola was going all out to fire a hat trick and came close when his snapshot from the edge of the area had to be tipped behind in the 59th minute.

Weston-super-Mare had a couple of chances with Ashley Kington firing into the gloves of the otherwise untroubled Jack Dovey with a well struck half volley before Kane Ingram's cross with the outside of his boot from the left was nearly met by the stretching Chris Young.

Ademola teed up a shot for Callum McNish who fired comfortably over the bar just past the hour mark.

Eastleigh's first change saw Dale Binns take to the field in place of two-goal Moses Ademola, who had more than played his part in ensuring victory was a real possibility for the Spitfires.

Jai Reason saw a low shot saved by Irish with 65 minutes played and after some more neat football from Eastleigh, Reason forced another save out of the busy visiting goalkeeper at his near post.

Daryl McMahon put in a captain's performance in midfield - his passing was exceptional throughout. Similarly Callum McNish built on a strong home debut against Basingstoke, with a classy contribution again this afternoon.

The way that Eastleigh looked after the ball and kept possession ensured that they would create chances and keep Weston-super-Mare at bay. The defence of Mitchell Nelson, Andy Forbes, Tom Jordan and Michael Green had a solid look about them today to keep a clean sheet and keep Dovey's work load to a minimum.

Marvin Williams was a prominent threat in the Eastleigh attack and lashed a shot from a tight angle just past the up right with a good effort in the 72nd minute.

McMahon was the next to come close with a shot from the right that saw Irish diving to keep the effort out and hold on to the ball.

Chris Flood and Glen Southam both came on in the latter stages of the game with Craig McAllister and Daryl McMahon making way.

Chas Hemmings went clean through for the visitors in the penalty area but was kept out by a terrific last ditch tackle from Mitchell Nelson to keep the clean sheet in tact.

Six minutes from time, fine play from Marvin Williams down the left saw the fleet-footed forward shrug off his marker and set up Flood, who was denied by Irish from close range.

Flood then drew a save from the Weston keeper and Reason did likewise in the closing stages as Eastleigh comfortably saw out the game with a commanding three goal lead.

An impressive performance from Ian Baird's side to kick-start the campaign with a resounding victory and all-round good team display. Next up for Eastleigh is the short trip to local rivals Havant & Waterlooville on Bank Holiday Monday.

FULL TIME: Eastleigh 3-0 Weston-super-Mare
Eastleigh v Weston-Super-Mare - 25.08.12


Popular posts from this blog

Eastleigh 1-1 Wrexham