Hughes signs for Eastleigh

Spitfire fans will be delighted to learn talented central midfielder, Mark Hughes, has agreed a one year contract with Eastleigh Football Club.

Mark Hughes

The 28-year-old who has two international caps for Northern Ireland, underwent his medical after agreeing the deal and will be available for selection for Saturday's pre-season friendly away to Winchester City.

Manager Ian Baird said: "Once again he is the calibre of player I am looking for and has plenty of experience. He has played under pressure, captaining Barnet last year who were successful retaining their league status on a very small budget."

"He played for us at Sholing on Tuesday night and I liked what I saw and I liked what I heard - he seems a very good lad who will fit in well with us".

Speaking at the Silverlake shortly after putting pen to paper Mark commented: "Eastleigh are clearly going somewhere and I have been really impressed with everything and everyone connected to the club. This was an opportunity I couldn't turn down for myself or my family.

"I really enjoyed the way we tried to play Tuesday and looking at the group of players we already have and the potential, we all just want to get promotion," Mark continued.

Mark Anthony Hughes was born in Dungannon, Northern Ireland and started his career with Tottenham Hotspur rising through the youth setup. Midway through the 2003-04 campaign he was loaned out to Oldham Athletic where he impressed sufficiently to be signed permanently. He was a regular at Boundary Park and his form was rewarded with a call up to Lawrie Sanchez's national Northern Ireland team touring the USA. He earned his two full international caps whilst in America appearing as a substitute in matches against Uruguay and Romania.

From Oldham he had a brief spell at Thurrock before joining League One side Chesterfield on loan, scoring on his debut against Gillingham. However, he was unable to convince boss Roy McFarland to offer him a permanent deal and returned to Thurrock. In January 2007, he joined Conference National side Stevenage Borough but struggled to establish himself within the first team and was released the following May.

Mark then joined Chester City in August 2007 and was a regular starter for City for the next 18 months earning a move to Barnet in February 2009. Over 140 appearances for the Bees and a dramatic winner for Barnet as they beat Burton Albion 2-1 on the final day of the 2011-2012 season, securing League football for the Bees and relegating Hereford United to the non-league instead was not enough to be retained at the club this summer.

Talking about Barnet Mark said: "I was club captain and played every week so have lots of league games under my belt but at the end of the season, the third manager of the year just didn't fancy me and it was time to move on."

"Moving to a part-time side I'll be joining a gym and make sure I am doing my own bits on the side because if we are going to win this league we will have to be the fittest in the league and I'm going to make sure I am. I've had a really good pre-season with Martin Allen at Gillingham and been involved in a friendly for Gillingham too so feel in good shape now."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deal sealed with Lawshield

Richard Hill

Eastleigh Res. 0-1 Tooting & Mitcham Utd Res.