Saints consider Martin move

By Adam Leitch -

ALAN Pardew will ensure Saints do not miss out on the top local talent as long as he is manager – and is weighing up a move for Eastleigh centre half Aaron Martin.

As a product of non-league football himself, Pardew is all too aware of the bargains to be found at that level.

He has a track record of recruiting from semi-professional football as well as full time.

He has already accepted a recommendation to look at 20-year-old Eastleigh defender Martin in training and Tuesday’s reserve game at Plymouth, in which the former Itchen College student performed well. Pardew is clearly impressed, not only with Martin’s ability but his attitude which is a key component in making such a big step up.


And he is hoping to sit down and talk over the options with Eastleigh and Martin with a move to St Mary’s a real possibility.

He said: “He’s a super lad and has conducted himself in a great manner and represented Eastleigh fantastically.

“I haven’t spoken to the player myself or Eastleigh so I don’t want to talk out of turn, but we’re seriously considering him.

“We will have conversations and whether it’s the right time for Eastleigh, for him, for us I don’t know – but we’ll have some discussions around it.

“The most important thing is that they’re a local club and we protect them and protect the player, but he’s done well since he’s been here.”

Saints have stood accused in the past of missing local talent that has gone elsewhere, albeit they have been recruiting players for a higher level than League One.

But Pardew insists that with a good team behind him, who know the local scene, that won’t happen on his watch.

“I’ve been a non-league player myself so I’ve never taken my eye off that and I’ve done very well out of that genre,” he said.

“I will continue to look there, I will always support the local clubs, and I know Eastleigh well.

“There is nothing more irritable for a fan of any city then when a local player gets signed professionally elsewhere.

“I’m very conscious that we keep our eyes very close to the local clubs around us to make sure we don’t miss any.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deal sealed with Lawshield

Eastleigh Res. 0-1 Tooting & Mitcham Utd Res.

Richard Hill